Tuesday 3 February 2009

Burns' Supper


I've finally finished my LCP essays!!!
I'm actually quite brain dead now but I've decided to celebrate it with a post for my almost dead blog...


On the 25th Jan, John decided to celebrate Burns' supper. And I was like "Burns WAD?" Apparently it's a celebration of this guy Robert Burns...who's regarded as the "legendary" poet of Scotland. Personally I'm not a fan of poems and artsy stuff....so I know none of his works except Auld Lang Syne.


Potrait of Robert Burns
(25 January 1759 – 21 July 1796)


Anyway, I thought it's just another dinner gathering...just tat it's with Scottish food (haggis, potatoes, turnips, whiskey) How wrong was I!!! John made us all wear formal! It felt SO weird~Coz usually John just walks around in a bathrob..=p

It was so formal..there's a particular ORDER to everything. 1st the hosts will serve all the guest with Scottish broth. BUT before we could start dining, John had to make a welcoming speech, then said grace..AND recite a poem about Scottish Broth. I was trying so hard to look serious and bite my lips to keep myself from laughing! Then only we were allowed to drink the broth.

Next, it was the potatoes and turnips. Again, someone had to recite a poem about potatoes and turnips. It's all bout the ORDER!!! Thou shall not mess up the ORDER!

Then it was the haggis' turn. Before making the 1st incision on the haggis, Yew Wen recited this really long poem which kinda made no sense to me because half of it is in scottish literature.

Address to a Haggis

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o' a grace
As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin wad help to mend a mill
In time o' need,
While thro' your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dicht,
An' cut you up wi' ready slicht,
Trenching your gushing entrails bricht,
Like ony ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sicht,
Warm-reekin, rich!

***the poem's actually longer..but I'm trying not to make this post TOO long***





Oh, glorious haggis...YUCKS!


It's really scary thinking what it is made from. Sheep's lungs, heart and liver boiled for approximately 3 hours in animal's stomach. My 1st dip at haggis, I don't think I'll eat it again. Not because it tasted terrible..it actually tasted like sausages..but the thought of eating insides are just too much to bear.




Amousry and Samuel
'The French Squad'



Last but not least...who could leave out Scot's Whiskey! Again, a poem dedicated to whiskey! haha!

Then there was a speech by Nina about Robert Burns. The only thing that I got from the 'lecture' was that Robert Burns was a naughty/horny young man. He only lived up to 37 but his legal wife gave birth to 9 childen. Not counting the various affairs he had..which accounts to 7 illegitimate children. Wow..he must have been real busy!!! If he had lived longer, the common surname in Scotland would have been Burns.


1st we had to make a toast to the Queen of England..may she be in good health. Then the guys will make a toast to the ladies..followed by ladies' toast to the guys. I was suppose to make a toast representing the ladies but then kinda got stunted after listening to Samuel's 'spicy' toast for the ladies. So Li Li had to make last minute impromtu toast!hehe...

We were suppose the finish the night up by singing Auld Lang Syne but none of us know whole the lyrics to the whole song..it'll just end up everything humming/mumbling. So we process with something more important!!!


John, John's hometown friend(lupa nama), Nina



I love going over to John's place!!!hahahaha...he is AWESOME! He has Wii!!!wheEEeeeeee.....

We were playing Mario's SMASH bros..whoever wins has to let others play...so whoever kept losing was stuck playing the game for a LONG time!hahahaha....cheat code: Just use pikachu or kirby!!!

Then we played Mario KART. Then whoever wins gets to wear this special cap. I never got to wear the cap...NOT even once~*sob*sob* All the practices..not good enough. The French squad seriously too PRO!


the champion's cap


Then we played GHOST squad. HA! The French squad didn't fair so well when it's not racing game anymore!!! Finally..something which I'm better than them!hahahaha...
Amousry is the funniest guy EVER! He's so animated. Had stomach cramps laughing too much!!!

I thought Burns' Supper is quite widely celebrated in Glasgow..but when I asked the local students, they were like.."Huh? When was it?"
CHA DOU..we did it so formal somemore!

No comments:

Post a Comment