Tuesday 2 June 2009

Flat scam/money transfer

I'm currently looking for a new place to move into. Then I found this too-good-to-be-true flat..

the master bedroom


2nd bedroom


living room


dining room



toilet


kitchen



computer corner


All this for 450£ and it's located in Byres Road!?! Byres Road is like the most happening road for university students. The flats there are way overpriced! No way it can be 450£

This is too surreal so I discussed with my friend bout it. And we said we'll not pay anything until we get to see the flat and confirm that he's the real owner. So I emailed back to him stating that I'm definitely interested then his reply...


From: moss frank (mynewhome4u@live.com)

Hi,
Thanks for your reply and interest in my flat,I'd love to have you visit my apartment but due to recent inconveniences caused by wanna be tenants who I have invited for viewing and turned out to be time waster.I have decided to know your readiness and capability before inviting you for the viewing. I currently work in Manchester which is the the main reason I want to let my flat out. I'll need to take a day off from work in order to be able to come down Glasgow to show you the flat.Before coming down to show you the apartment.I will need to be sure of your readiness and capability i.e if you will be able to pay for month rent plus security deposit (£450+£600=£1050).Therefore, I will want you to make a transfer of a month rent plus security deposit (£450+£600=£1050) by going to the closest money gram or western union outlet to you with a friend or someone close to you and make the transfer as the sender and your friend as the receiver or any of your family members and you can also make them as the sender and you be the receiver so that when you arrive for the viewing and you are ok with the flat then we proceed by signing the contract/tenancy agreement form and handover the keys to you and we go to the closest money gram outlet closer to my flat to pick up the money and you pay me hand to hand as i will be ready to show you the flat and have your receipt and tenement agreement form ready as soon as i get the receipt of the transfer you made to yourself via Moneygram or western union from the post office that show that you really make the transfer and it is avaiIable to be pick up by you and have got the cash at hand to start the tenement renting of my flat . I do not want you to have the feeling that I'm asking for money before you see what you are renting because I know that payment is meant to be done after you have seen the Flat and okay with it but most tenants I have invited for the viewing, is either they cannot afford the rent or security deposit that's why I want to be sure before coming down to show you the flat. This is the reason you are not doing the transfer into my account and to let you have confidence that your money is safe and God forbide if anything happens to your money you can easily go to my bank to lodge complain in order to have your money back but I'm assuring you that everything is gonna be alright ok.. If you are ok with this arrangement you can let me know so that you can make the transfer with a family or close friend and once it's confirmed I will come down to show you the flat. You will need to scan the copy of the deposit slip to me as a prove.And to let you know.I will want you get back to me if you are ok with this arrangement so that we can proceed.I will be looking forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards,
Moss.


Honestly I had a similar case with another guy Barry. But I was having exams back then and I didn't have time to do so and it sounded fishy. So I dismissed Mr Barry. Then I thought it's too weird that a same case would happen. So I tried googling "western union scam flat rent"

True enough..it's all SCAM! FRAUD! LIARS!!! You shall LIE NO MORE!!!


From BBC Watchdog

So how is the scam working?
It's thought scammers use the details on the receipt sent to them to create a fake ID in order to pick up the money. The scammers' email addresses were traced back to Nigeria so they may even be receiving the money from one of the 320,000 Western Union branches around the world and not even from the UK.

Tom Craig is a counter fraud expert. He's not surprised that the scammers have taken advantage of Western Union as the scammers can't be traced: "Basically it's moving cash. You can't really identify the end receiver. Although you should but you can't. It's just like giving cash away."

Western Union told Watchdog that it's important that customers "observe the clear guidance and don't share private information such as transaction numbers or copies of the documentation related to a person to person money transfer with any other party".

Western Union stresses that although it does, with police, investigate all reported cases of fraud, it can't refund any money that's been stolen. It's confident it has a "robust fraud prevention programme" in place, but points out that consumers "are and always will be the first and best line of defence against consumer fraud, especially when it comes to protecting and safeguarding their personal data and identity information".



Lesson of the day: Use your bRAINEea!!!

15 comments:

  1. Just to let you know, the fake ID is not the only way the scammer can get your money- all he needs is the MCNT number, and most of the WU workers will be happy to give him the money, even if he doesn't have any proof of identity! He only has to make a fake signature, unreadable is ok, et voila, you just lost your money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coincidentally I have just seen the above pictures above used to advertise a flat in the west end of Edinburgh, on the Gumtree website

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am looking for a flat in Bournmouth and I came up with 3 people offering me a house if I can prove them that I have money with Western Union receipt. thanks for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't trust ivanbeta3@ymail.com!
    He was trying to scam me about a : 2 bedroom flat to rent in Swan Yard, Angel, N1‏
    I knew right away that it was a scam, first because of is lame email address... Can't see a "doctor practicing medicine in Irealand :rolleyes: having an email account with the name ivanbeta3...
    Second the apartment was gourgeous and no way could it be £700/month, those kind of flats go for £700/week...
    Keep your eyes open people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had replied to an ad on gumtree edinburgh for a 2 bed flat in slateford with amazing pictures (different from above). The email I got back was exactly the same as the one posted above. I reported it to gumtree and they have removed it. The email address the Moss Frank guy used was availablemansion@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look out for duffydoris611@gmail.com. Same sort of thing but the flat is supposedly in Manchester. Gumtree have removed the ad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for posting about Ivan with his fake Swan Yard house- he just tried to get 1400pounds off me. bad man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. look out for

    babejoa9@yahoo.com
    ibetan2@ymail.com

    They offered me properties in Chelsea and Battersea..
    One of them is a doctor in Ireland caled Ivan and the other one is Joana, living in Sweden renting a house in Sloane Square that she got from her late aunt....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am from Galicia and i fly to Edimburgh next week, he has stolen me 1050pounds and the costs of the transfer of course, he use newhandworkofbabagod@hotmail.com
    I trans this money to other person so i cannot understand...
    If somebody knows something to reclaim to Western Union.

    ReplyDelete
  10. funnily enough there is a flat in aberdeen with exactly teh same layout and furniture as that shown above. even the same email regarding viewing, come 'down' to Aberdeen from Manchester...........ye ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you want to know, how to claim your lost money, on car, woman, pet, renting, or it was picked up by someone else, then contact me on fraudadvise@gmail.com

    There is a way, even if not working in every single case, you can try. Depending on the situation.

    Please consider, that your details and a fake passport is now in hand of criminals. Get advise. You might pay a small charge for the consultancy, if you need personalized advise.

    Get the mind sorted on the issue. You have been a victim of criminals, sometimes is hard to get over it. And in some cases, such as relationship issues, you might not be able to discuss with anyone.

    Write me if you feel it so. On this way we might move the giant...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw an advert on gumtree.com for a 2 bedroom flat in aberdeen, summerfeild terrace for £450 inc. bills. i thought sounded amazing, me and my friend took a walk down that street to see what it looked like. The street didnt look too great but we emailed the guy and told him we were interseted. He sent us an email about the flat and sent us the exact same pictures. we were amazed by it and never thought a flat that looked so amazing would be so cheap. so we replyed to him sayin we were interested and he sent the same email as above. we thought it was dodgy and googled frank moss and found this. so thank you for this website you saved us being scammed out of £1050!
    I think a nasty email to 'frank moss' is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i found the exact same house in aberdeen and thought theres no way this flat could be for real and was right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I look at a flat picture is really incredible, I want to rent an apartment so I am here and all of a sudden I find your article.i contact u for this beautiful home to send more information.
    flat to rent manchester

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm selling a bike and I received an email from someone by the name of "Frank Moss" or "Moss Frank". He told me that he wanted to buy this for his son's birthday, but that he would not be able to meet with me because he's out of town. When I asked to talk to him on the phone so that we could pan out the details of the sale, he gave me a phony number. I emailed him telling him that the call went straight to voicemail twice and that we should schedule a real time to talk. He resisted, but kept asking for my paypal account so that he could wire me the money. Anyone who is really serious about plopping $1g for a bike would want to talk on the phone prior to the sale, or even test ride it out. Thank god for people who post about internet scammers!!

    Look out for his email: chefmoss22@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete